Talent Hunt 2018! - "Stars, Reaching for the Stars!"
Are you a student with special performing arts skills and would like the opportunity to win cash and prizes! If so then consider registering for the Talent Hunt 2018 “Stars, Reaching for the Stars!” program sponsored by the Lambda Gamma Gamma Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. of Fort Meade, Maryland.
The Talent Hunt Idea has become one of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity’s international projects, with all graduate chapters mandated to conduct an annual Talent Hunt program. On the local and district, the program is competitive. At the international level, the program is a demonstration. The international program showcases district winners, who by their talent, diligence, ability and potential appear as guests of the fraternity. The overarching goal of the Talent Hunt program is to search for the best talent and to promote such talent through scholarships and financial assistance.
Participation in the Talent Hunt 2018 is open for all students in the Maryland/Virginia/District of Columbia area high schools & performing art schools in grades 9th thru 12th who are skilled in the following forms of trained arts categories:
- Music - Vocal and instrumental; classical, semi-classical (i.e. Broadway Musical production, Movie score), gospel and jazz.A printed copy of the music (score) is required for the judges to analyze. No top 40 music unless it meets the criteria listed for semi classical. (NOTE: No hip hop or rap will be allowed/adjudicated)
- Dance - Interpretive Movement to Music: ballet, modern dance tap.
- Drama - Speech:Poetry, oration, monologue, etc.(Printed script should be provided for each judge to analyze)
- Visual Art – media : Sculpture, photography, drawing and painting. (3 to 5 pieces should be submitted for judging/adjudication)
Students electing to participate can only perform in a single category of performing arts (NOTE: Students can perform in a performing art + visual arts simultaneously).
Auditions for the Talent Hunt 2018 program will be held on the following dates:
- Audition Session #1 – Saturday February 17th, 2018
- Audition Session #2 – Saturday February 24th, 2018
Auditions will be held at the Charles H. Flowers High School in Springdale, Maryland. Registrants should arrive NLT 9:30am to sign-in for auditions. Videotape auditions will be allowed, and contestants should coordinate to have their videotape/weblink forwarded as soon as possible (NOTE: Contestants submitting videotapes will also be required to register online for auditions as well).
Basic rules for participation in the Talent Hunt 2018 program are:
- Contestant must be a high school student (grades 9 thru 12) who has not advanced beyond a senior at time of the Local Talent Hunt competition.
- Contestants who are “Home Schooled” must present verification from their school district that they are enrolled as a high school student.
- All presentations including instrumental numbers must be memorized and must be dignified and in good taste.
- Track music may be used for accompaniment if there is no lead instrumental or background vocals included on the track.
- All applicants for the Talent Hunt are to include SAT scores or ACT scores when available as well as their grade point averages.
- All contestants under the age of 18 must have a signed Parental Consent Form in order to participate in the Talent Hunt event.
There will be cash prizes & trophies worth over $2,500.00 which will be awarded to this year’s winners. Additionally, the overall winner of the local Talent Hunt which will be held on Saturday March 24th, 2018 at the Charles H. Flowers High School will have the honor of performing at the Hippodrome Theatre (Baltimore, Maryland) during the 70th 2nd District Conference which will be held on Saturday April 28th, 2018 along with the opportunity to win additional scholarship monies.
Interested? Then click this link to REGISTER for AUDITIONS. Have questions? Please contact the Talent Hunt 2018 committee chair Bro. Antonio Ferguson via email ‘email@example.com’ or mobile/text 410.963.4463
Pictures of Talent Hunt 2017 Program – “Superstars Shining Bright!”
click here for Talent Hunt 2017 Photos
|TALENT HUNT 2017 Winners:
1st Place Winner - Nicholas Huff (Suitland High School)
2nd Place Winner - Kimeal Parham (Bishop McNamara High School)
3rd Place Winner - Nick Johnson (Franklin High School)
Dramatic Interpretation (Drama):
1st Place - Alexis Hayes (Eleanor Roosevelt High School)
2nd Place - Cobe Jackson (Duke Ellington School of Arts)
1st Place - Sky Cosby (Baltimore School of the Arts)
2nd Place - Jazmin Burton (Suitland High School)
3rd Place - Alex Erhunmwunse (Westlake High School)
1st Place - Kmaia Mix (Bowie High School)
2nd Place - Martin Tanter (Paint Branch High School)
3rd Place - Lawrence Hembry (Bowie High School)
1st Place - Langston Hughes, II (Charles H. Flowers High School)
2nd Place - Immanuel Cooper (Charles H. Flowers High School)
3rd Place - Clarence Brown III (Woodbridge High School)
1st Place Overall Winner - Langston Hughes II (Instrumental)
2nd Place Overall Winner - Immanuel Cooper (Instrumental)
Visual Arts - Nicholas Huff
**NOTE: The overall winner (Langston Hughes II) went on to perform at the 69th District Conference held in Rye Brook, New York. Langston placed 1st in the Instrumental category. Nicholas Huff represented in the Visual Arts category and placed 2nd overall.